Thursday, May 19, 2011

Goldfinch

When we first moved into the house last fall, we were visited a few times by some goldfinches, but then we didn't see them again all winter. Now, that might be because I've heard they loose their pretty yellow colour in the winter, but I'm pretty sure, judging by their size and markings, that they just weren't around. Mostly we had our cardinals, bluejays, doves, and a ton of sparrows. Then, a couple of weeks ago, Ian's Mom mentioned that she saw them again in her backyard. She gets a ton of them and has a special feeder for them that they can hang upside down on while they eat, which I take it, is what they like to do. Then a week or so ago, Ian said he saw one in our backyard, but of course I missed it. Then, finally, last week while I was working on my scrapbook, I saw a flash of yellow out of the corner of my eye. I'm getting good at this now, so I grabbed Ian's camera on my way to the other window. And guess who I saw! Usually I see the goldfinches together, in a little group, but this guy was all on his own. I'm not sure what that means, but I hope we see some more! Maybe we'll have to get another feeder for them...






No comments:

Post a Comment