Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The "Glider" on the Porch

When we moved into our house, underneath that pile of plastic, with the backs of chairs sticking out, was an old metal porch glider. At least, we thought it was a glider, only now we realize it doesn't move. Is it still a glider if it doesn't move? And I'm not all that mechanical I guess, I'm not even sure how it's supposed to move. Is it seized, or is it just a stationary chair? Maybe it's not a glider at all. But if it's just a chair, I'm alright with that, too. Anyways, the point is, I love it.



Last weekend we took all the plastic "storm windows" off the sun room and we finally uncovered the "glider" for the first time. This picture is after a good ol' wiping down with good ol' dish soap and vinegar, and leaving the cushions out in the sun to dry. The cushions are somewhat faded I suppose, who knows how old the chair really is. But if you flip the cushions over, they're the same colour on the other side, too, so maybe they're not really faded that much! There's hardly any rust on the frame at all, just slightly on the steel back supports. I'm hoping to clean the little bit of rust off, and then spray the whole thing with either a clear gloss Rustoleum, or similar product, to help protect it from rust in the future. I'm also consider, perhaps, maybe, changing the colour. But I kinda like the metal look! One day I'm thinking to either re-cover the cushions, or probably (more likely) make new cushions for it. Don't get me wrong, the ones that are on it are in fantastic shape, there doesn't seem to be any worn spots, or compacted cushioning, or "bum marks" as it were... But they must be pretty old, and who knows what could actually be living inside... On that note... Guess where I'm sitting right now??

That's right, on my "glider" in the sun room. Or porch. Or whatever this area should be called. The sun is shining, it must be about 23 degrees out here. I can hear the birds chirping, when they're not being drowned out by the chorus of various lawnmowers, weed wackers, and chainsaws buzzing around the neighbourhood. It smells like vinyl. Oh, never mind, that's the "glider..."

But it's lovely out here. I can't wait for Ian to get home from work, and we'll enjoy a mango smoothie out here, together. Our first drink on the porch in our new house. And it only took 6 months before we could get out here to enjoy it. Something to do with the weather I suppose. 

The view from said porch includes our so-far squirrel-proof bird feeder, and a bush or tree that actually appears to have about four different things growing in it. Also, my "wizard tree" behind it, named because I think it looks like a wizard with a big pointy hat and long, flowing robes. There are suddenly some nattering sparrows around the feeder, I'm not sure what their problem is. They all seem to be screeching over eachother. I can also see some different birds further away in the grass, but I can't quite make out what they are. Small, but not the sparrows.

Right in front of me, across from the "glider" is a fence between our yard and the neighbours. On the other side of the fence is their pool. I'm sure I will be sitting out here and deeply inhaling that smell on hot days. Also, note that there are two arms for hanging some lovely hanging baskets on one day when I have some money to either pick some up, or make some myself. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to go pick some up. I wanted to sort of see how much light it gets during the day though, and right at this very moment it is in direct sunlight, so that's a good sign for a nice hanging basket of big blooms, which I've been dreaming of. Also, I saw just the other day, little hummingbird feeders that you can put in hanging baskets, and I think I'd like to try one of those. When I get hanging baskets of course.

In the meantime, I'll sit on the smelly vinyl "glider", enjoying the warm sun on my toes, and the harmony of the lawn mowers around me.

Happy spring!

PS If you have any experience restoring old funiture, particularly of the metal porch variety, or any advice on fixing up this glider, or know someone who might be able to offer some advice, please, I'm looking for all the input I can get! Drop me a line! Send me a comment!


No comments:

Post a Comment