Thursday, July 29, 2010

Arrived in Niagara Falls!

After waking up at 5 AM yesterday morning to the sound of booming thunder and flashing lights, with a pounding headache, I was not off to a good start. I managed to finally fall asleep again only to be woken up to my alarm at 6AM signaling it was time to get up for breakfast. This was the only hotel of the 3 we stayed at that offered a continental breakfast, so we were going to take advantage of that. I finally managed to get downstairs and make myself a bowl of oatmeal, and pour a cup of coffee, then made it back to the room to put them both down untouched while I tried to make the nausea stop. I was able to swallow a few spoons of oatmeal before crawling back into bad, squeezing my eyes shut, hoping the pounding headache and accompanying nausea would go away. It didn't. I was not well. Headaches always make me feel nauseous, but this is the first time it's actually made me throw up. Not a nice picture, I know. So we didn't actually leave the hotel until around 9, or 9:30 in the morning. Rather than the 7 or 8 we were aiming for.
But you know, when you consider the time difference: 9AM in Wisconsin is really 7AM in BC, so were actually doing alright. That was our third early morning, following several days of extreme heat and dehydration in the car, little sleep, lots of "excitement" and emotions in Kamloops, etc. etc. etc. I think we did alright.

Yesterday may have been the longest drive day of my life. I slept off and on in the car until noon or so. The hour of 4PM seemed to drag on for days. We stumbled in at 9:30PM EST, and sat here dazed for two hours before crawling into bed. I think we were both pretty out of it.

But you know what? Most importantly, we made it! We are now in Niagara Falls. We are at our new temporary home, with Ian's parents, until we find jobs and an appartment.

I can't quite wrap my head around it yet. It still feels like we're visiting, although we drove ourselves here this time, rather than being picked up at the airport. I guess it will feel different when we're settled in our own place. Maybe it will take a few days to adjust. I still have no idea what to expect. This feels so weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment