Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year

I've done some reflecting on the last year, and for the first time in my life I was a bit sad to see the end of a year. 2010 was really an amazing year for us. We've had a lot of changes. We've gotten married in Mexico, witnessed the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver (I'd like to say participated, but that seems to suggest that we actually PLAY the sports involved, when we really just only watched them, visited the Torch, and wandered around the pavillions), we hosted some fantastic waffle events in our appartment, held two wedding receptions on opposite sides of the country, quit our jobs, drove across the country, lived with Ian's parents, Ian found a new job, bought a house, moved into our house, started painting our house, I've worked a few little jobs... It has been one fun-filled, adventure-packed year! Can 2011 even come close to competing with this one? I'm not sure if I've looking forward to a quieter year, or if the thought of not having some many preoccupations terrifies me! For the first time, I was sad to see a year end. This really has been an amazing year, and at the end of it I am very aware of how blessed I've been.

Firstly, Ian. I am so incredibly lucky to have found him. He's absolutely perfect, for me. He is so many things I am not. He helps me to be a better person, to be more like him. He teaches me to be calm and level-headed. He teaches me how not to swear when I stub my toe or something equally painful. He teaches me to be more forgiving and accepting. He teaches me to be less critical. He teaches me to be patient. He's hard working. He takes good care of me when I'm sick. He does the dishes and makes dinner if I ask. He'll even clean the bathroom and do the laundry. He's wonderful. He supports me when I'm not working, but he doesn't get mad or frustrated with me. He doesn't make me feel like I don't try hard enough. He makes me feel like everything I do is good enough. He makes me want to try harder, to work harder, and to be a better person. Every day he inspires me, just by being who he is. 2010 is the year we got married. Our one year anniversary is less than a week away. I can't believe how fast this time has flown. I can't believe how lucky I am to be with him.

We have a home. Our first house. We are slowly, but surely, making it our own, and making it feel like home. I've had a few warm-filled moments where I thought "this is home!" In two months, a few of these moments is a few more moments than I expected.

I have the most amazing friends and family, even if most of them are on the other side of the country. They love me so much, I can feel it here if I really try. We wrapped up the year at our house, in the company of two wonderful people who I am truely looking forward to getting to know better, and spending more time with; Ian's best man from our wedding, and childhood friend Chris, and his girlfriend, Jaime. On the first morning of the new year, we held the first Waffle breakfast even at our house with Chris, Jaime, and Ian's friend Danielle (well, she's my friend too, but this is so you're not confused into thinking I mean my sister Danielle). So 2010 has really been a year I've recognized my true friends, and the value of a good friend. Also, the importance of my family. I miss them incredibly. But I hope this theme of relationships, both friendships and family, extend into the new year, despite my distance from my "roots."

I'm not sure how any year will ever be able to compare to this incredible year.

Happy New Year!


Mexican Christmas Eve at our place - Feliz Navidad!
 Our first Waffle Saturday in Ontario, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment