Saturday, February 12, 2011

I'm working on it

It's been a very busy week in our household. Our kitchen has been undergoing a dramatic transformation, with new paint, flooring, toe-kicks, and 1/4 round... Painting was finished two weeks ago I think. Ian and I did the flooring last weekend, with a little help from his dad. This weekend Ian and his dad are hard at work on the toe-kicks and 1/4 round. Pictures and another update will follow when we get the appliances moved back in. I absolutely can't wait! Hopefully tomorrow.

I've cleaned my sewing machine up, and made a cover for it. I began making an apron this morning, but am having some trouble with the settings on my sewing machine. I'm trying to zig zag the raw edges, but the size of the zig zag keeps changing.. it'll be just the way I want it, then all of a sudden it will start zagging smaller (zigging smaller?) and I end up with a smaller zig zag. So, I've been trying to find my sewing machine manual, but I haven't come across it. I wonder if I ever even had it. I know I've seen it, but the last place I can remember seeing it would be at my very old house in Kamloops, many many years ago. So I wonder if maybe my mom still has it. I've sent her an email asking her. I can bet her response will be she doesn't think so, but she'll let me know if she comes across it. But she'll never come across it. I'm willing to bet it's long gone. So, with that in mind, I've been searching online for it. I found one website which claims to have it, and I can have it emailed to me for $8. I may have to go that route if I don't figure this out. I have no idea what any of the settings on my sewing machine even mean. I can thread the bobbin. I can stitch a straight line. I used to be able to zig zag stitch efficiently. I'm not sure what's going on with it now. I need that manual I think. Also, I've tried oiling it myself, and probably missed a million spots. And probably oiled a few that didn't need oiling. So far, no oil marks on my fabric though, so I've done a better job than the last guy to do it.

I started running again. On the treadmill in our basement. For years I've said that a treadmill just isn't my thing. I love running. But I love running outside. I love feeling the sunshine and breeze on my skin, I love the changing scenery, I love setting my goals by how far I want to go, and I love being able to push myself further by thinking "well I'll just run to the next block.. well now, that wasn't too bad, I'll just go one more.." and so on. I have resisted using a treadmill because I was afraid I'd get bored. Now, I have to say, it's still pretty boring. I miss the sun on my skin. But it's too cold to run outside right now (for me. I know, I'm a big baby. I really like it between 10 and 20 degrees for running), and I was missing the exercise more. So I caved, and decided to take advantage of the treadmill that came with our house. It must be at least 20 years old, if not more. It's narrow. It's not very fast. I don't think Ian would be able to use it at all. Maybe not even to walk. The woman who left it for us (Mrs. S.) was about 100 pounds, and shorter than I am. It would have been perfect for her for walking. If she could get up and down the stairs to use it. She probably hadn't used it in 10 years. Anyways, back to the point. I used it. It's perfect for me. The first day I only ran for 10 minutes. The next day I was up to 25 minutes. The third day I did 43 minutes. Today I'm taking the day off. I've discovered a lot of benefits of running on a treadmill, things I'd never really thought of or considered before. First of all, I can stop to pop into the bathroom anytime I want. Very convenient! Also, I can get a drink whenever I want, withouth carrying bobbing or bulky waterbottles around my waist. I can use my chapstick, or a kleenex, without worrying about how I'm going to carry them. I don't have to worry about my sweaty hands soaking the kleenex that I'm carrying before I have to blow my nose. I can remember running in Vancovuer with a balled up kleenex in each hand, and on my way back to the appartment it would be a damp, shredded mess. I used to toss them out in the garbage cans at Granville Street (still five blocks from home), and by the time I got home I'd have to head straight for the kleenex box again. This way I can just bring a whole box with me! I don't, but I could! Also, I can listen to music without my ear buds falling out of my ears, or digging in and leaving them sore. I don't have to use the pathetic iPod arm band that Ian ordered me from China, that has fallen apart and practically has to be tied on. I really wanted an arm bad, but I hate that thing. Instead, I can hook my iPod up to my portable speakers and listen to music that way. Or, I can even bring down my laptop and watch a movie (which is what I did the third day, the 43 minute day. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the movie next time!) Finally, I can wear whatever I want to. I have these fantastic running pants. Fantastic, as in they feel great for running. However, they look terrible on me. I also have a white sports top I had bought for running that I got a great deal on at the Outlet mall last summer. But because I got it in a tent sale, I didn't try it on. What I didn't realize at the time is that it is almost completely see-through, and very tight. The tight part is fine, but not when coupled with the nearly see-through part. Not pretty. But, when I'm running on a treadmill in my basement, it doesn't matter, right? So I'm thinking I may have to enter another run. Maybe a 10km this time. It feels good to be running again, and I'd like to continue. Sometimes entering a run makes it not fun any more. That's what happened for me last time. I found I just wasn't enjoying it when I felt like I had to do it. But we'll see. I'll keep running and think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment